A security guard who was killed alongside his Dutch employer, Rowenhorst Herman, allegedly by hitmen hired by his Kenyan wife, had only worked in the home for five days.
A new witness, Khamis Bambo, who was Herman’s caretaker, told a Mombasa High Court judge, Wendy Micheni, that the late Evans Pole Bokoro had been employed by the Dutch tycoon just five days before his murder.
The court heard that Herman had hired Evans on May 31, 2021, and the murder took place on June 4, 2021.
“I was the one who suggested to my boss, the late Herman, that our neighbor, Kazungu, had a brother called Evans who was jobless and willing to work as a night guard. My boss agreed and asked me to bring him the following day. That’s how he got the job at Roco Apartments,” he said.
Bambo was testifying in a case where Riziki Cherono Ali and Timothy Omondi are charged with murdering Herman and his security guard at their apartment in Shanzu, Mombasa.
He told the High Court that the late Dutch tycoon had fired the previous security guard for sleeping on duty, leaving them without a night guard for a while.
“I used to cover night shifts because the previous guard had been fired after being found sleeping on duty,” he said.
Bambo said Riziki called him using the late Herman’s phone and instructed him to rush to a nearby police station to report that their home had been invaded by thieves and that she had been hijacked.
Last week, another witness testified that she overheard Riziki plotting to murder her husband after he allegedly refused to buy her a car and give her money.